Jon Bilger elected president of the SCGA
November 14, 2017
PASADENA, CALIF. (Nov. 14, 2017) – Jon Bilger, a retired senior vice president, CBRE – Retail Division, and member of La Jolla Country Club, was elected president of the Southern California Golf Association at its Annual Meeting, held Tuesday morning at Brookside GC in Pasadena. He succeeds Mission Hills Country Club member Keenan Barber.
“The SCGA is a great place thanks to the leadership of those before me,” said a humble Bilger. “I will look to continue the association’s positive ascension. I look forward to embracing this role.”
Joining the SCGA Executive Committee are Vice President Chris Wilson of Lakeside Golf Club, Secretary Fred MacFarlane of Industry Hills Golf Club and Treasurer Bob Livingstone of El Dorado Park Golf Club.
Honored at the Annual Meeting were:
- The Padilla Family, who received the Jim House Award, which recognizes the work of an exceptional SCGA volunteer. The Padilla’s support of SCGA Junior has been unparalleled and was worthy of the first-ever family recognition for the award. Since becoming involved with SCGA Junior seven years ago, the Padilla family, whose two oldest boys are currently SCGA Junior scholars, has volunteered more than 300 hours during junior golf events and activities.
- Jerry Waletzko of Old Ranch Country Club, who was named the winner of the Newell Pinch Delegate of the Year Award for his service working as an SCGA ambassador.
- Jerry Leininger of El Dorado Park Golf Course, who was awarded the Don Carlson Handicap Chair of the Year Award for his accomplishments as the Handicap Chair of El Dorado.
- San Diego Country Club and The Los Angeles Country Club received the John Argue Founder’s Award, established to honor SCGA Junior Founder and former SCGA President John C. Argue. Both clubs were honored for their generous gifts to SCGA Junior in conjunction with hosting two of the year's biggest amateur golf events in the U.S. Women’s Amateur and Walker Cup, respectively.
- Peter James was honored with the President’s Award, annually given to an SCGA member or member club who’s dedicated to furthering the mission of SCGA Junior.
Dan Sullivan earned the SCGA Player of the Year award for a second straight year, an honor he receives for the third time in his decorated career. His 2017 season included his first SCGA Mid-Amateur victory and his second-straight semifinal appearance at the U.S. Mid-Amateur.
John Pate was recognized as the SCGA Senior Player of the Year, an honor he also received in 2015. Pate's year included a win at the 2016 California Senior Amateur Championship as well as a victory with partner Jeff Wilson at the 2017 SCGA Foursomes Championship.