John Morello elected president of the SCGA
October 29, 2015
UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIF. (Oct. 29, 2015) – John Morello, a high school golf coach and member of St. Mark Golf Club, was elected president of the Southern California Golf Association at its Annual Meeting, held Thursday morning in Universal City. He succeeds Oakmont Country Club member Alan Frank.
“I think it’s important to remember that we are truly a people business,” stated Morello. “It’s all about serving our membership and we’re going to continue doing that. The golf industry is in more challenging times now, but we’ll continue to succeed. I pledge to you my best effort in the coming year to keep the SCGA as the best amateur golf association in the country.”
A new addition to the SCGA Board of Directors is Zack Moran of G C Superintendents Club.
Honored at the Annual Meeting were:
• Andy Anderson of Carlsbad, California, who received the Jim House Award, which recognizes the work of an exceptional SCGA volunteer.
• David Hamdorf of San Clemente Golf Club, who was named the winner of the Newell Pinch Delegate Award for his service working as an SCGA ambassador.
• Scott Anderson of Brookside Golf Club, who was awarded the Don Carlson Award for his accomplishments as the Handicap Chair of Brookside GC.
• The San Diego American Golf Ambassadors received the John Argue Founder’s Award, established to honor SCGA Junior Founder and former SCGA President John C. Argue. The San Diego American Golf Ambassadors, an all-volunteer group that marshals American Golf facilities in San Diego, are responsible for greeting and supporting golfers at the facilities, and have also become a true charity force in the San Diego region.
• Marc Myers of Hillcrest Country Club, honored with The President’s Award, annually given to an SCGA member who's dedicated to furthering the mission of SCGA Junior.